Anyone gunna get in on the Facebook IPO action this week?
  • DESIGNByRDS

    It's gonna be too high by the time you can get your hands on it.
  • Eureka!!!

    you think so, they say around $100 a share though. i just think it'd be pretty sweet to say I own apart of Facebook.
  • DESIGNByRDS

  • Matt Borchert

    I don't believe that a small time investor has any business in the facebook IPO. IMO facebook will not be a solid long term investment, although I do believe that in the short term a whole lot of money will be made (especially by those who were granted stock options for the IPO).

    Do I see facebook being a major powerhouse of social media in 10 years? I think the industry will change, and facebook knows this. They purchased Instagram for a billion for a reason, they can feel the shift happening.
  • Eureka!!!

    yeah that is true, i was talking to my boss about where facebook actually gets its profits from, and it still seems like a mystery. It seems like it could just end up turning into another myspace, but we shall see. But even for a day trader i mean you may be able to get a quick flip out of it if your lucky, but then again I am not a trader myself, i just wanted to hear people's thoughts on it.
  • Matt Borchert

    Eureka!!! said:yeah that is true, i was talking to my boss about where facebook actually gets its profits from, and it still seems like a mystery. It seems like it could just end up turning into another myspace, but we shall see. But even for a day trader i mean you may be able to get a quick flip out of it if your lucky, but then again I am not a trader myself, i just wanted to hear people's thoughts on it.

    Facebook makes a lot of cash via advertising, and more importantly, using the information in your profile/page to tailer certain advertising to you. I've designed ads for facebook before and the ability to determine the demographic that sees the ad is unheard of through almost any other medium. Age, location, interests, sex etc can all be taken into effect for who sees the ads.
  • atomicchild

    thank god I worked for Facebook when they were new and took 1000 shares instead of payment....I AM RICH BITCH
  • Eureka!!!

    Yeah Matt, that is true,but i mean how many ad's do you think people are actually looking at. I mean for a lot of the people here including myself that are creating a brand, i can see how it makes sense for myself to have a facebook to update and use it as a medium to personalize my brand. But i mean major brands like coke or pepsi, i mean me liking their product doesn't really equate into cash.

    and atomic child that reminds me of the artist that put up a piece at their HQ that now has millions of dollars worth of stock.
  • Sam Weinberg

    Eureka!!! said:yeah that is true, i was talking to my boss about where facebook actually gets its profits from, and it still seems like a mystery. It seems like it could just end up turning into another myspace, but we shall see. But even for a day trader i mean you may be able to get a quick flip out of it if your lucky, but then again I am not a trader myself, i just wanted to hear people's thoughts on it.

    I don't think it'll end up turning into "another myspace" at all, and Facebook is investing a lot of money to make sure that doesn't happen. If they're to continue being at the top of the industry for the next 10 years, they're definitely going to need to stay relevant. In a few years, Facebook will be more than just a social network, it'll be a full featured media hub. Their most recent acquisitions indicate that Facebook is breaking into the mobile scene, and they're soon to release an on-site app center. With entertainment apps like Spotify, Yahoo News, Pinterest and more on the site, along with Facebook Offers and their recently acquired companies Instagram and Glancee, it's certainly evident what Facebook's plans are: to rule the fucking world.
  • DeKay.

    I want to get in on it but I got no idea how, but I do agree with everyone else I don't think they will be disappearing soon, they are supposed to be launching an app store soon so it will be interesting too see how that works. And with more and more people switching to mobile devices their revenue from advertising is probably decreasing so they have to think of new ways to make money.
  • closetnerd

    Eureka!!! said:the artist

    david fucking choe.
  • William Henry

    DeKay. said:I want to get in on it but I got no idea how, but I do agree with everyone else I don't think they will be disappearing soon, they are supposed to be launching an app store soon so it will be interesting too see how that works. And with more and more people switching to mobile devices their revenue from advertising is probably decreasing so they have to think of new ways to make money.

    You can get in on it when the stock is made available to the public.
  • Yellowdog

    I reckon waiting a couple of months for it to all settle down is a wise move and not buying any at all even wiser.
    Eureka!!! said:you think so, they say around $100 a share though. i just think it'd be pretty sweet to say I own apart of Facebook.

    If you buy 1 share I reckon the broker will actually make more money than you will.

Sign Up

Forgot Your Password?