Thanks to aled lewis (fatheed) for pointing this out. And he's on New York Times too. Some artist named Rob Pruitt decided to 'paint art from t-shirts'. And he had to choose the panda Jimiyo and I did for Threadless.

Check out the background pattern!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/arts/design/16pruitt.html?_r=1




rob pruitt artist
rob pruitt art
rob pruitt pop art
rob pruitt panda
rob pruitt new york
rob pruitt pattern and degradation
  • jimiyo

    againstbound said:
    fatheed said: Did people expect the LA Riots? It is Threadless and not 4Chan, after all. By the sounds of it - Threadless can't do anything, legally. If it gets a bit of press and makes people ask questions about Pruitt's work, then it's a good thing.

    I expected a bit of exposing or confrontation, from what's shown in the video I see none of either. Seems like a bunch of Pruitt fans printed "his artwork" onto shirts and went there to support him.

    just as long as it sells shirts. come with the residuals! pappa needs a new android based tablet come this winter.
  • collisiontheory

    Haha awesome! I think emptees should raise enough bail money for SWH to punch this guy's balls. Unless he doesn't get caught of course hehe.

    I also think someone should just spray paint the piece or something and make a run for it. hehe
  • Matt Borchert

    collisiontheory said: Haha awesome! I think emptees should raise enough bail money for SWH to punch this guy's balls. Unless he doesn't get caught of course hehe.

    I also think someone should just spray paint the piece or something and make a run for it. hehe

    I would fly to new york and do a classy tag on it for like 5k. Maybe a polar bear? Pandas...sheesh!
  • DCBeatty

    collisiontheory said: Haha awesome! I think emptees should raise enough bail money for SWH to punch this guy's balls. Unless he doesn't get caught of course hehe.

    I also think someone should just spray paint the piece or something and make a run for it. hehe

    Wouldn't be much different. We would be stealing someone else's "art" and making something new out of it.

  • otasorednad

    i feel like rob pruitt's face can turn into a new meme. rob pruitt inspired emptees designs... rob pruitt's face as the new trollface...
  • Patrick

    Gonna be honest, why the hell is his stuff in an exhibit anyway? the ripped design plus a bunch of squiggly lines cascading down? indo rippers could make something more creative.
  • Patrick

    nevermind, it sparkles. shit is off the hook.
  • jimmybreen

    You saw how empty his gallery was.
  • Brendon Rush

    vandal x klothing said:
    againstbound said:
    fatheed said: Did people expect the LA Riots? It is Threadless and not 4Chan, after all. By the sounds of it - Threadless can't do anything, legally. If it gets a bit of press and makes people ask questions about Pruitt's work, then it's a good thing.

    I expected a bit of exposing or confrontation, from what's shown in the video I see none of either. Seems like a bunch of Pruitt fans printed "his artwork" onto shirts and went there to support him.

    Brock May said: You guys didn't even do anything? You just looked like fans of the gallery. And then you guys didn't even say anything to him when he was right next to you. Damn, that bums me out.
  • collisiontheory

    My birthday is on the last day of his show. I think the universe is telling me that something epic should be done on that day.
  • atomicchild

    upso said: you guys should check out the thoughtful dialog over at artfagcity
    http://www.artfagcity.com/2010/10/04/what-do-panda-bears-and-john-cage-have-in-common/
    http://www.artfagcity.com/2010/10/05/pruitts-panda-bears-continued/


    not very thoughtful I would say... especially from this paragraph

    Second, I think it’s too annoying to be sustainable, but if appropriation [or appropriating without credit, I guess] is only morally acceptable when it happens upward [i.e., when Pruitt rips off Mickey Mouse and Coke, but not when he, a very successful fine artist, reworks an image from lowly t-shirt designers making "$7,500 in three months" from their art], then we should probably look more closely at who’s being ripped off.
  • atomicchild

    upso said: i'm not saying it's right or wrong. just an interesting take on the situation. i'm personally siding with the artists being ripped off, every time. :)

    it was good read for sure
  • jimmybreen

    Just to make sure -- nothing ever happened from this? The guy wasn't publicly embarrassed? Nobody sued him? He is just going to get away with it and enjoy being compared to Warhol forever?

    Am I right?
  • jimmybreen

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marina-cashdan/lovely-day-reinventing-ro_b_746274.html

    He actually addresses the "appropriation" in this article.

    "There's something that I want to discuss. This image [of a panda screaming, on the opposite wall] I snapped on the street about a month and a half of ago. This guy was wearing a t-shirt and the panda was just screaming and it was really great. It's mostly pictures of pandas I've looked at for the last 12 years, but I've never really seen one like this. And so there are a couple of blogs, people saying a lot of things about plagiarism, that I should be sued for stealing this image, but nobody is asking how I encountered the image..."
  • atomicchild

    unfortunately the only people that could have done something did not do what they could have
  • Patrick

    I don't understand how he thinks where he appropriated the image has any baring on what he has done.. he's blatant taken others people's work and squiggled a bunch of fuck-ugly lines around it and called it his own, there is no excuse or reasoning.

    Taking legal action would have gone in "our" favor and if brought to more public, mainstream outlets, you could have had a stronger response to it and at the very least have him either publically apologies or be forced to admit he stole the design.
  • PitchGrim

    jimmybreen said: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marina-cashdan/lovely-day-reinventing-ro_b_746274.html

    He actually addresses the "appropriation" in this article.

    "There's something that I want to discuss. This image [of a panda screaming, on the opposite wall] I snapped on the street about a month and a half of ago. This guy was wearing a t-shirt and the panda was just screaming and it was really great. It's mostly pictures of pandas I've looked at for the last 12 years, but I've never really seen one like this. And so there are a couple of blogs, people saying a lot of things about plagiarism, that I should be sued for stealing this image, but nobody is asking how I encountered the image..."

    The guy thinks that because he snapped a picture of the shirt himself that it's alright to use and is not stealing. Did I read that right?

    What a arrogant little prick.
  • collisiontheory

    Anybody based in NY? I need somebody to call the gallery and ask about the painting.
    I spoke to a lawyer and I need to find out if they're selling (or have sold) the painting.
  • quakerninja

    This would go down better of you or your representative made the call.
    Best to have all communications handled by the lawyer.
    The rights of the owner of the reference photo will trump everything. I would track that down as well.
  • ChrisW

    quakerninja said: This would go down better of you or your representative made the call.
    Best to have all communications handled by the lawyer.
    The rights of the owner of the reference photo will trump everything. I would track that down as well.

    This.

    Oh and here is his t shirt line...

    http://www.openingceremony.us/entry.asp?pid=1515

Advertise with us

Advertise with us


Sign Up

Forgot Your Password?